Monday, August 11, 2014

Momma Turkey & Her Babies Come To Visit ~

I found this wild Turkey & her babies lying in this dirt area above where my compost pile is, next to the field. Keeping real close to the ground, I was able to sneak up on her to take pics. I was surprised at how close I was able to get to them. Wild Turkeys have excellent vision & hearing which is why they are able to elude hunters.




She was flapping her wings, dusting herself & her babies with the dirt. They do this to clean themselves of ticks, mites or other bugs that might get on them. It also helps to keep their feathers from becoming greasy or matted. This was so cool to see!


 
 
I didn't realize how many babies there were until she stood up & they all started coming up out of the dirt. I just kept counting.....she had about 12 or 13 babies! 
 
 
 
 
Hen turkeys usually lay about 8-15 buff colored eggs which she incubates 25-31 days. The baby turkeys are called poults.
 
 


I've read that when turkeys find a spot for dusting that they will often times come back. I've seen them a couple times since but haven't been able to get as close to them as I did on this day!


 
 
When the mother started to leave, all of the little ones quickly followed behind, marching in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment