Monday, November 10, 2014

Transforming Our Downed Tree Into A Bench ~

Our huge old Mulberry tree was brought down during a bad storm. We loved this old tree and miss seeing it's silhouette on the skyline at night. The Mulberry tree was a favorite of the birds because it was always loaded with berries. It's the reason my kids, growing up always had purple stained feet in the Summer.



My husband decided to make a bench out of part of the tree. He collects antique tools and thought it would be a fun challenge to use only those and no power tools to make it.


He used an axe & wedge to split the log. Then the bark was removed with a draw knife. A hatchet was used to rough shape the top. The top was then smoothed by using wood planes & the draw knife. Then lots & lots of hand sanding!




He enjoyed the challenge & satisfaction of making it with tools that craftsmen of the past would've used. It's nice to have a little piece of our tree displayed in our home.


The color and beauty of the grain needed no stain ~ only a couple coats of poly to protect it.
 

Chisels were used to inset the legs. I love the interesting looking knobby legs!




Three of tools that were used to make the bench, sitting on top of an old carpenters box.





This old wooden plane is a little work of art in itself ~ love the horn shaped knob!



These draw knives were a very useful and versatile tool used by early craftsmen.



Miller Falls #22 wood plane used to smooth the top




A carpenter himself, my husband collects antique tool boxes also. This old carpenter box is the one that the tools were sitting on.


 
 
 
I love the decorative brass handle and the copper nameplate on the old carpenters box.
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. What a fun challenge! That little stool out of that huge tree! It's gorgeous. I've lost a few beloved trees and know your sadness. I'm glad you have a little piece of it in your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! It was a wonderful old tree. I love having a little piece of it in my home to go along with the memories! ~ Judy

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry that you lost that beautiful tree, but I love the little bench! Your husband did an outstanding job. I can only image the time and effort that went into the bench by using antique tools. What a impressive and rewarding feat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sarah! It took so much longer to make it with the antique tools but I love that he did it that way. It makes it even more special! ~ Judy

    ReplyDelete