Saturday, February 14, 2015

Saying Goodbye To Winter In The Garden

As Spring arrives and we say goodbye to Winter... it's time to take a look back at the beauty it brought to the gardens. Winter can be very harsh here in the Northeast. It sometimes seems to be never ending! The cold, snow & ice is at times very hard to deal with but it does have one redeeming grace ~ It can be so beautiful! I really miss the flowers of Summer but nature has it's way of adding color and interest to the garden in Winter. These are just a few photos of nature's winter beauty in my garden...


Early one morning I watched as this beautiful Sparrow sat in the crab apple tree just watching the snow fall.


Even the hornet's nest that's been hanging in our maple tree since summer has a dusting of snow on it.



I sprinkled some bird seed on top of one of my snow covered urns and a Cardinal stopped by for a bite to eat.



The bright red berries on the Crab Apple tree were coated in ice.
 


A male Blue Jay perches atop a pedestal in the garden.


Ornamental grasses add drama and interest to winter gardens.


I found this Pileated Woodpecker searching for insects in one of our trees.



The snowy sundial in the garden


This adorable little Junco was sitting in the crab apple tree enjoying the winters day.


Another beautifully marked woodpecker on the walnut tree.

Sometimes (usually about the middle of January :-) ) I wonder...just briefly...what it'd be like to live where it's warm year round. I know though, that I would dearly miss the changing of the seasons. Nature provides a special beauty to each season ~ winter...spring...summer & fall!




























4 comments:

  1. Great pics. I really enjoyed looking at your wonderful winter photography. Mine need work. Must find time to practice and learn more. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti! I need to learn more too...I don't really know much about the technical side of photography but I'm learning a little at a time. I just try to shoot photos that look good to my eye and sometimes it works out. These types of photos are fun though because Mother Nature provides the beauty & I just snap the pictures! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi, I found your blog through Home Talk. I just adore all your pictures. I am a bird lover and gardener also and have also thought what would it be like to live where it is warmer. I think, 12 months of gardening!!! that would be amazing but then what about Fall, its tempting but hard to leave the seasons. I am enjoying your blog and your potting shed you posted on Home Talk. deezie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deezie! Yes, 12 months of gardening sounds very tempting! But like you said...what about Fall ~ which is such a beautiful season! Maybe it's good for gardeners to have a break though.....it gives us time to plan for the next years gardens and it really makes us appreciate Spring when it arrives!

      Delete