Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Vintage Container Plantings

When choosing containers for my flowers I like to include a few repurposed vintage pieces along with my terra cotta pots & urns. I've decorated my potting shed with vintage finds so this is a way of extending the same feeling out into the garden. They add color & spots of interest to the porch & gardens.

I've always had a love of old things...I like being surrounded by pieces that have a sense of history about them. Searching flea markets, auctions & antique shops for these pieces is a favorite pastime of ours. So much fun!





             Enamelware roaster overflowing with purple posies.



Blue Lobelia planted in my old hanging scale





I'm always on the lookout for old enamelware to use in and around my potting shed.



I found this small Wheeling washtub  at a barn sale. It was home to my Boston Fern last summer.





I love the color of this old oil can!




Several chicks planted in an old graniteware ladle





Sweet Violas in an old wooden berry bucket




Chicks & hens in an old metal toy wheel barrow




Grandpap's old coal bucket planted with purple Pansies




Bronze Mums in a minnow bucket



Even old flour sifters can be used as a planter




Viola placed in an enamelware cup






My old scale makes a great way to display my Ivy that's planted in an enamelware pan





Three little pots of Violas in an old cheese box ~ Love the graphics on the box!

An old wash board tucked into a little wash tub of Lobelia



An old enamelware bedpan planted with Ivy hanging on the potting shed ~ every garden can use some humor in it!




My old blue bucket planted with blue Lobelia

Another enamelware pan with Marigolds




Oil strainer with Violas




Ivy planted in an old egg basket lined with a feed sack

It's fun trying to find vintage pieces to repurpose as planters for your flowers.




3 comments:

  1. Judy, thanks for some great ideas! I love "junking", this will be fun. Question I have tho, do I need to drill holes in the bottoms of whatever I find to use as a planter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I drill holes for drainage in the bottom of most of the containers that I plant in. It's healthier for the plants to have proper drainage & to ensure they'll thrive. I love "junking" too...Have fun, Cami!

      Delete
  2. Judy, thanks for some great ideas! I love "junking", this will be fun. Question I have tho, do I need to drill holes in the bottoms of whatever I find to use as a planter?

    ReplyDelete